Friday, May 18, 2012

What's Left


I liked the last batch so much I decided that another was in order. We made this batch to share at a BBQ in early June, when a couple friends are returning to the area for a visit. Since I still have a bunch of the hops left over, I thought that I would make the same basic recipe using whatever hops were left and tweaking the mash a little to raise the FG.

Since I only had a certain amount of hops left, and I was going to use them all, I didn't really pay attention to exactly how much I added during each portion of the boil.  What's below is a guess.



What's Left Pale Ale

Recipe Specs
----------------
Batch Size (G):           5.25
 Total Grain (lb):         5.5*
Total Hops (g):          213
Original Gravity (OG):    1.050
Final Gravity (FG):       1.010
Alcohol by Volume (ABV):  5.5%
Colour (SRM):             8
Bitterness (IBU):         40?   (Rager)
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 75%
Boil Time (Minutes):      60

Grain Bill
----------------
4.0 lbs Pale malt
12.0 oz Crystal 40
12.0 oz Munich Malt - 10L
*3.0 lbs Light DME

Hop Bill
----------------
15 g Centennial Leaf (10.8% Alpha) - FWH
14 g Citra Leaf (13.7% Alpha)     @ 15 Minutes
14 g Cascade Leaf (9.1% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes
14 g Simcoe Leaf (11.9% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes
14 g Cascade Leaf (9.1% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes
14 g Citra Leaf (13.7% Alpha)     @ 5 Minutes
10 g Citra Leaf (13.7% Alpha)     @ 0 Minutes
10 g Simcoe Leaf (11.9% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes
20 g Citra Leaf (13.7% Alpha)     @ Dry Hop 7 days
20 g Simcoe Leaf (11.9% Alpha) @ Dry Hop 7 days

Mash (in a bag)
----------------
154°F for 60 minutes (temperature dropped to 147°F by end of mash).

Fermentation
----------------
04/28/12
Brewday.  Forgot to add Wyeast yeast nutrient and Irish Moss. Collected 5.25 gallons of wort and pitched 11g packet of rehydrated US-05 ale yeast.  Fermented in better bottle in tupperware bin full of water at ~60°F covered with sanitized foil.  Controlled temperature in low 60s for three days, then removed from water bath and let free rise to room temp of 67°F.  I noticed activity within 8 or 10 hours after pitching, but the yeast never really took off aggressively like I've seen in the past.  I suppose this was because I was fermenting a little on the cooler side.  After three days I replaced the foil with an airlock, and I guess this was too soon, because when I woke up the next morning, the entire airlock was full of krausen.  So I removed and cleaned the S-lock and put the foil back in place until the active fermentation slowed more, which turned out to be after 6 days.

05/06/12
Added dry hops.  Swirled carboy lightly over next few days to attempt to hydrate and immerse the hops.

05/13/12
Moved carboy to fridge to cold crash yeast and hop material.  Everything dropped much better than with the prior batch..

05/17/12
Bottled with 75 g of dextrose and 40 g of sucrose.  Hoping to get around 2.5 volumes of CO2.  Also added 80 g of maltodextrine to boost the body a little, since that was the one thing we wanted to change with the last batch.  Should bump us up a couple points.  Used my new colona capper/corker for this.  It was really nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...