Friday, May 18, 2012

What's Left

I liked the last batch so much I decided that another was in order. We made this batch to share at a BBQ in early June, when a couple friends are returning to the area for a visit. Since I still have a bunch of the hops left over, I thought that I would make the same basic recipe using whatever hops were left and tweaking the mash a little to raise the FG.

Since I only had a certain amount of hops left, and I was going to use them all, I didn't really pay attention to exactly how much I added during each portion of the boil.  What's below is a guess.

What's Left Pale Ale

Recipe Specs
Batch Size (G):           5.25
 Total Grain (lb):         5.5*
Total Hops (g):          213
Original Gravity (OG):    1.050
Final Gravity (FG):       1.010
Alcohol by Volume (ABV):  5.5%
Colour (SRM):             8
Bitterness (IBU):         40?   (Rager)
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 75%
Boil Time (Minutes):      60

Grain Bill
4.0 lbs Pale malt
12.0 oz Crystal 40
12.0 oz Munich Malt - 10L
*3.0 lbs Light DME

Hop Bill
15 g Centennial Leaf (10.8% Alpha) - FWH
14 g Citra Leaf (13.7% Alpha)     @ 15 Minutes
14 g Cascade Leaf (9.1% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes
14 g Simcoe Leaf (11.9% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes
14 g Cascade Leaf (9.1% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes
14 g Citra Leaf (13.7% Alpha)     @ 5 Minutes
10 g Citra Leaf (13.7% Alpha)     @ 0 Minutes
10 g Simcoe Leaf (11.9% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes
20 g Citra Leaf (13.7% Alpha)     @ Dry Hop 7 days
20 g Simcoe Leaf (11.9% Alpha) @ Dry Hop 7 days

Mash (in a bag)
154°F for 60 minutes (temperature dropped to 147°F by end of mash).

Brewday.  Forgot to add Wyeast yeast nutrient and Irish Moss. Collected 5.25 gallons of wort and pitched 11g packet of rehydrated US-05 ale yeast.  Fermented in better bottle in tupperware bin full of water at ~60°F covered with sanitized foil.  Controlled temperature in low 60s for three days, then removed from water bath and let free rise to room temp of 67°F.  I noticed activity within 8 or 10 hours after pitching, but the yeast never really took off aggressively like I've seen in the past.  I suppose this was because I was fermenting a little on the cooler side.  After three days I replaced the foil with an airlock, and I guess this was too soon, because when I woke up the next morning, the entire airlock was full of krausen.  So I removed and cleaned the S-lock and put the foil back in place until the active fermentation slowed more, which turned out to be after 6 days.

Added dry hops.  Swirled carboy lightly over next few days to attempt to hydrate and immerse the hops.

Moved carboy to fridge to cold crash yeast and hop material.  Everything dropped much better than with the prior batch..

Bottled with 75 g of dextrose and 40 g of sucrose.  Hoping to get around 2.5 volumes of CO2.  Also added 80 g of maltodextrine to boost the body a little, since that was the one thing we wanted to change with the last batch.  Should bump us up a couple points.  Used my new colona capper/corker for this.  It was really nice.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...